Director: Graduate Milagros Romero
Half a block from jirón de la Union and the Nuestra Señora de la Merced Church, a mansion of virreinal lines rises and that today constitutes a national relic, to have been instituted like Naval Museum by having lived there with his family the Grand Admiral Grau. The house, whose plans and date of construction are not yet known, has the security that was built at the end of the seventeenth century, due to the fact that by this time came to Oidor Mr. Gaspar de Osma and Tricio, whose Property belonged to his wife Josefa Ramírez de Orellano.
However, other tenants will reside in the building, but would always be under the care of the Osma family, and later by the Pontifical Catholic University, to which Mr. José de la Riva y Osma ceded all his assets. Although it was even used as a clothing and restaurant store, its original architectural lines were not altered and, what is more, its second floor was fortified without undergoing any change or modification.
The last family that occupied the mansion was Portugal and retired in 1983, when the Peruvian Navy began relevant talks with the Catholic University in order to use the house as an enclosure for the Grand Admiral, his wife and children.
The high priest of studies persuaded of its historical importance signs an agreement with the naval institution to cede the property with the purpose of to institute it like a museum that always remembers the days of the exemplary home life that lived the hero and its children.
Once overcome some problems of a legal nature, when the Navy taking over the house made the necessary arrangements on the second floor, works that were directed by the renowned architect Alfonso Estremadoiro Navarro.
In the course of time, the house by successor order came to be property of the Peruvian writer Jose de la Riva Aguero y Osma, who in turn, was universal heir of all the goods acquired by the Osma family.
In April of 1867, Miguel Grau Seminario married in the Church of the Sagrario of the Plaza de Lima with the lady Dolores Cabero Núñez, who asked the Osma family to become a tenant of one of the properties of Alférez Lescano Street. Upon being accepted, he has since established his home with Mrs. Dolores where his children are born and would live until 1879 when he loses his life in the memorable Battle of Angamos. His wife would later reside there for a short time.
The House Museum was inaugurated on July 27, 1984 by the then President of the Republic Architect Fernando Belaunde Terry and Minister of Navy Jorge Du Bois Gervasi.
Subsequently, the Catholic University, through an agreement signed in 1995, provides for the first plant, which was installed in 1996 and 1997, with the contribution of the Institution and the Bank of Credit, a valuable gesture by the lending institution. Repairs and fixtures in both floors, leaving the Museum of the Grau's House ready for the visit of the public without altering the lines and physiognomy of the premises, home and, what is more, recovered valuable naval objects, as well as oils of renowned artists And photographs of the time. The museum is currently cared for by naval personnel on active duty and who also welcome visitors who come to know the house and the environments where the Peruvian of the Millennium lived.
It exhibits photographs of the eighteenth century of the old streets of Lima and a map of the city of 1880.
In it you can see a set of french style medallion furniture of the time, a large Belgian mirror, photographs of his family (parents, siblings, wife and children), and consoles.
Spanish-style display cabinets in wood and glass of the time, a 100-year-old clock and wooden pedestals.
Room starts at Grade
It shows the biographical chronology of the Admiral, photographs, the house where he was born in the city of Piura (1834). Fistful documents of your voyages as a merchant sailor graphed on a large map.
Photographs of Grau's most beloved friends are seen, a replica of his curul when he was deputy for Paita (1876), marriage certificate (1867), replica of the sword and his cane as Judge, an oil painted before his death.
It displays the desk display, ornaments of the time, scale model of the Monitor "Huáscar", the moving letters to his wife and widow Arturo Prat, pictures of the Iquique and Angamos Fights and documents of great interest.
In the auditorium cultural historical videos are projected - Naval also conferences are held, since it has a capacity that can accommodate up to 50 people.
Temporary exhibition room
In it are held cultural events of great interest to the public. Some of these temporary exhibitions have been: Sea, Art and Craft of the World, Travels of Corvette Vettor Pisani, Submarine Force, Naval Infantry Force, Pictorial Exhibitions, etc.