Director: (Radm.) Francisco Yabar
On March 17, 1918, an idea by some Navy Officers led by the then Lieutenant Commander Manuel I. Vegas Garcia took shape when enthroned in the Naval Academy the main mast of the Union corvette, which remained in sight in waters of Callao from the year 1881 to 1917 when it was rescued to be constituted from the date mentioned in the most important living monument of the Naval Campaign of the Pacific War. By then the Academy had been operating for three years, although it had been opened in 1912.
On October 8, 1957 was held at the Naval Center of Peru, chaired then by Rear Admiral William Tirado Lamb, an exhibition of naval objects and memories of the Navy arranged by the Rear Admiral Emilio Barron, this was an effective preamble to the events of the year 1958.
On March 21, 1958, the naval cadets: Oscar Rizo Patron Belgrano, Fernando Grau Umlauff, Percy Pérez Barlabás, Carlos Guzman Lanfranco, Alfredo Ibárcena Morán and Fernando Jiménez Román ported from Santiago de Chile a relic of the Grand Admiral Grau and belongings of the hero, delivered in this capital by President Carlos Ibáñez field to the director of the Naval Academy Rear Admiral Florencio Teixeira Vela which were in the custody of our Alma Mater in the Hall of the library, then go to the Naval Museum of Peru.
The captain Julio Jose Elias Murguia was the more important propeller in the genesis of the Naval Museum that started activities effective on July 8, 1962 being its first director the Commander Elias, who played the charge until his death ten years after. Continued to Commander Elias outstanding sailors between those who remember the commanders José Carlos Cosio Zamalloa, Fernando Romero Pintado and José Valdizán Gamio, the last two authors as Julio J. Elías of important bibliographic work.
The Supreme Resolution number 31 of November 13, 1958 formalized the presence of the Naval Museum in the institution.
Gradually the Naval Museum has expanded their facilities to the receive environments transferred of the Naval Center of Callao, in what was the old headquarters of the Viceregal port captaincy, likewise is incorporated the area of the old mail and Telegraph of Callao, these contributions have allowed to this vector of the national culture cover greater amount of services in demand of the school and University population of Callao and Lima , receiving also visitors from other places of the country and the foreigner.
In the year 1980 took place the last transfer of environments of the Naval Center of Callao. Fourteen years later was incorporated into the inventory of the possible Peru audiovisual Museum by the company support Forum and which represented the country in Spain on the occasion of the 500th anniversary of the discovery of America.
In 1996 the Museum commissioned Dr. Alfonso Castrillón a museographic script that was developed in sections corresponding to the Peruvian sea and Antarctica rooms in the following year. Two years earlier had acquired the tourist boat of type Argonauts catamaran that provides the service of guided walks on the Bay of Callao. In 2001 the Museum cited script gives shape to the weapons room, Gallery of ancient weapons that were used on the ships of the origins, the Guardia Chalaca and naval garrison battalions, the cruisers Admiral Grau and Coronel Bolognesi of the year 1907, Naval Infantry and Special Operations Force.
The crypt of Grand Admiral Grau in the Naval Academy received the year 2003 items Museum of recognized value spent 45 years in the safe of the Naval Museum: sword - jewel - work of the Goldsmith Maurice Froment presented the hero in 1880 by Peruvian ladies and the awards granted by the town of Colón, Argentina; people from Bolivia; Arequipa departmental Council and the ladies of Lima by the victory of Iquique.
This same year 2003 the Peruvian Navy began a process of recovery of the local and their elements museographic, rebuilding is in great part the infrastructure of the Naval Museum, and remodeling is gradually various rooms, incorporating is to the museography it room colonial after put in value them figureheads of bow with that is had.
The year 2004 opened the effigy Naval fighter and the wake of marble that pays homage to the sailors who died in the war against subversion, modern heroes who have a place of honor facing the monuments of the heroes of the Naval campaign of 1879 in the Naval Museum.
Oil painting Grand Admiral Grau, battle of Abtao, battle of Pacocha, battle of Angamos, battle of Iquique, frigate Apurimac, steam Rimac, arrival of the 1907 cruises and Captain Germán Astete, have been restored by recognized professionals in the field cultural.
Models of the ships have been incorporated: frigate Apurimac in the renowned designer José Antonio Bedoya Hart-Terre and the Monitor Huáscar, the same artist.
In the restoration of the prehistoric Hall intervened with marked presence the Peruvian British Cultural Association, with illuminated models of the Astral hemispheres. The Association presented in the room John Harriman all water exposure and is scheduled: 50 years of the Naval Museum 2008. Naval Amazon and naval forces rooms are also new presence at the Museum, contained in the first considered the contemporary Navy in the sea of Grau through multiple museum items. The second is oriented to models of the units river made by modellers of the area Eastern, in this room is considered also an area destined to the Highlands.
In the tourism team guides, that are ladies that make your service military and acquire the capacity mentioned, is incorporated in the 2007 two young disabled, members of the NGO development, progress and overcoming.
The library of the Naval Academy was for years the environment that housed what could be the seed of this Museum, because there, gradually, valuable Museum material donated by officers and institutions was kept in cabinets and shelves with a reference of origin and history, this